Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Eastfield’s SEND policy is available on this website from School Policies page. If you have any questions or concerns regarding SEN policy or provision, please contact either the SENCo, Nicky Oliver (noliver@eastfield.cambs.sch.uk), or the Headteacher, Laura Summerfield.

We carried out a survey of parents of children with Individual Learning Plans. Please follow this link to view the results.

For all other information regarding SEND you can follow this link to the Local Authorities website:


What is the SEND Information Report?

The SEND (special educational needs and disabilities) Information Report explains how Eastfield Nursery and Infant School helps children who have a special educational need or disability. We also have an SEND Policy. We use the Local Authority Local Offer to support us with this. You may access this here: www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/children-and-families/local-offer/

What is SEND?

Pupils are identified as having a Special Educational Need or Disability if they do not make progress once they have accessed all of the interventions and/or adjustments alongside high quality personalised teaching in school.

There are four broad areas of need. These are:

Communication and interaction:
Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have
difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times of their lives.

Cognition and learning:
Support may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability or sensory impairment.

Social, emotional and mental health difficulties:

Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties
which show themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or
isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These
behaviours may be due to mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression,
self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically
unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit
disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder.

Sensory and/or physical needs:
Some children and young people need extra support because they have a
disability which stops them using what the other children use. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multisensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to learn. Some children with a physical disability (PD) need additional ongoing support and equipment to access all the opportunities available to their peers.

How do we identify children who may have a Special Educational Need?

We assess children by doing:

  • Observations of the child
  • Class-based assessments
  • Diagnostic assessments
  • Setting targets and monitoring the child’s progress towards their target
  • Working with professionals to ask their advice
  • Speaking with parents and carers

We discuss the child and any difficulties that they might have:

  • Through Parent/Carers’ evenings and additional discussions
  • Pupil Progress Meetings – These take place termly between the class teacher and the Head teacher, where all pupil progress data is looked at, discussed and next steps planned for
  • SENCO Surgeries – These take place termly between the class teacher and the school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), where we specifically discuss any children who may be making less progress than their peers or causing concern, what has been put in place for them already and what our next steps should be
  • Early Years Foundation Stage home visits
  • Involvement of outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapists
  • Informal discussions between class teachers and their teaching assistant (TA).
  • Constant monitoring and review of progress during interventions and through differentiated class-based activities.

How do we involve parents and carers of children with SEND?

Parents and carers of children with SEND are actively encouraged to be partners in their child’s education through a number of different of ways including:

  • Informal discussions with the class teacher and the SENCO
  • Telephone contact where face-to-face contact is not possible
  • Home/School diaries where detailed information needs to be shared regularly
  • Individual target planning with the class teacher at least termly using an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) that parents and carers can support with at home
  • Coming into school to attend meetings with other professionals

What are the arrangements for talking to and involving children with SEND about their education and how we can support them?

Where age-appropriate, we will talk to the child about what they seem to be finding difficult and include their thoughts and responses in planning our next steps of support. For children with speech and language or communication difficulties such as Autism we can use visual symbols to gather their views.

All children who have SEND have targets through their Individual learning Plans (ILPS) which are shared, discussed and worked upon with those members of staff who are providing their additional support and with their parents.

Children may also have targets set for them by professionals which we will also help them to work towards. 

What are the school’s arrangements for assessing and reviewing progress?

‘Early Years Foundation Stage – Development Matters’ assessments (for Nursery and Reception age children) and National Curriculum assessment levels (for children in Years One and Two) are tracked at least termly for each child
Some children who are not working at the expected level will be assessed and planned for using PIVATS which is based on the P scales, a measure used to assess children with SEND

We look at where the children are in their learning before and after children have taken part in an evidence-based intervention. Interventions are additional support programmes, designed to take place over a set number of weeks in order for children to make accelerated levels of progress.

Termly Pupil Progress Meetings take place, during which we review the progress of children with SEND (see Question 1 for more information).

We work closely with parents to obtain their views and to help us shape the support we put in place for their child
We may also work towards targets and outcomes set by a professional.

Some children may have an Education, Health and Care plan which we will use to plan how we teach them and assess their progress towards outcomes on their plan.

What is the schools approach to teaching children with SEND?

We are a fully inclusive school, and we aim for all pupils to achieve to their full potential. This will be through high quality whole class teaching with differentiation and may also include additional small group work or 1 to1 teaching.

We make all reasonable adjustments we can to ensure our school fits around the children who learn here rather than expecting them to change to meet our expectations.

We have the same high aspirations for our children with SEND as we do for children without.

How does the school adapt the curriculum and learning environment for children with SEND?

The curriculum and lessons are adapted to meet the needs of the individual. The school takes all reasonable steps to make sure the learning environment meets the individual needs of children, which may include:
Additional support from teaching assistants (TAs) – classroom based and specialist, to work on specific learning/social development interventions
Adapted resources e.g. visual timetables, individual learning boxes, calm areas in classrooms, displays, table top reminders, picture communication aids, recording devices, modified ICT equipment
We have an Enable Table in each Key Stage 1 classroom to allow children to select resources that they feel help them including ear defenders, cardboard barriers and pencil grips
Support from outside agencies (directly working with children and advice for staff)

School also has an Accessibility Policy which ensures the school has equipment for children with physical disabilities.

When providing support that is ‘additional to’ or ‘different from’ our normal teaching, we use a four-stage process: Assess, Plan, Do and Review.
Assess – This involves taking into consideration all the information from discussions with parents/carers, the child, the class teacher and assessments. It looks closely at what the child is finding difficult.
Plan – This stage identifies the barriers to learning, intended outcomes, and explains what additional support will be provided to help overcome the barriers. Decisions will be recorded on an Individual Learning Plan or on a document written by the SENCO and will we used for termly review meetings, held as part of Parent/Carer Consultations, Pupil Progress meetings and SENCO surgeries.
Do – Providing the support. Extra assistance for learning or learning aids (as set out in the plan).
Review – Measuring the impact of support provided, and considering whether changes to that support need to be made. All of those involved – learner, their parents/carers, teacher and SENCO contribute to this review. This stage then informs the next cycle, if necessary. Communications between teachers and TAs to discuss progress of learners are regular and ongoing, as well as termly Pupil Progress Meetings with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and SENCO surgeries with the SENCO.

This additional support/intervention will be tailored to meet the child’s needs, and will target the areas of difficulty. This support may be provided in class or in another area of the school, on a 1:1 basis or as part of a small group of learners with similar needs. These interventions will be run by a trained teaching assistant or a teacher. The support provided, and its impact in class, will be monitored closely and shared regularly with the child and with their parents or carers.

While the majority of learners with SEND will have their needs met in this way, some may require an Early Help Assessment to ask for further support from other professionals. Where a child needs a great deal of additional support, school may apply for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment to determine whether it is necessary for the Local Authority to provide additional support through an EHC Plan. This usually requires the support of a paediatrician, specialist teacher and possibly other professionals.

How do we get additional equipment or funding?

As above, we can request funding through an Education Health and Care Plan or through funding for children in nursery. In order to get this we must prove that we have tried many other interventions that have not worked well enough to support the child’s learning.

There is a small budget available in school to buy resources for children e.g. pencil grips, fiddle toys and sensory equipment. Usually school uses existing resources and adapts them for the child. There are also times when an Occupational Therapist or Specialist service may recommend a piece of equipment (for example a step or a hearing aid) and they will usually fund this.

How do we monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of our interventions and/or additional support?

This is done in a number of ways, including:
Teachers plan interventions termly and complete a class Intervention document which they then use to monitor the impact of interventions that are being used in their class, this is shared with the SENCO.

The SENCO produces a termly and annual summary report with regards to progress for children with SEND
Teachers will also monitor progress through termly assessments using Target Tracker and weekly through looking at and marking children’s books, or through Guided Reading.

Progress is reviewed termly with pupils, parents and relevant staff through, for example, Parent/Carer Consultation Meetings and Pupil Progress Meetings. 

How are children with SEND enabled to engage in activities with children in the school who do not have SEND?

There are two disabled toilets including changing facilities: One in the main school and one in the nursery.
The main school has easy access with double doors. The nursery has a ramp at the entrance, leading to double doors.

We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs
Lunchtime and after-school clubs are accessible to all children, including those with SEND
School makes reasonable adjustments to ensure all children are supported to access the same activities and learning opportunities.

TAs will support children with SEND in situations they might otherwise be unable to access
Enable Tables allow children to independently select resources that support them in class. Resources include ear defenders, cardboard dividers, pencil grips and talking tins.

What specific expertise is available to children with SEND?

School staff have been trained to provide a variety of specialist support. Where we feel someone could support a child better with additional training, we will make sure the member of staff has training to do this.

Eastfield School currently has a qualified Speech and Language Therapist working as a TA who supports children with their speech, language and communication needs.

What support is available for ensuring the emotional and social development of pupils with SEND?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can be noticeable in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiety, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:
A Social Inclusion worker who works with children both 1-1 and in small groups to develop social and emotional skills
Small nurture group activities for children in the Reception Year Group
The Social Inclusion worker is available at the start and end of a day for parents/carers, to respond to queries, concerns and crises
SENCO can run Circle of Friends to support individual children
Social Skills interventions can be run across year groups to support children in small groups
School can seek advice from the Emotional Health and Wellbeing team.
School can request support for parents through parenting workshops, Early Intervention Workers and Family Workers who support with difficulties at home.
School can refer to CHUMS or CAMHS where there are more serious mental health concerns

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission, the SENCO, Social Inclusion worker or Head teacher will access further support from the specialist teaching team through an Early Help Assessment.

How does the school involve other professionals outside of school in meeting the needs of children with SEND and supporting their families?

In order to meet the individual needs of a child, the school will work with and seek advice from other professionals to support the child’s academic and social progress. These may include:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Specialist Teaching Team
  • Speech and Language therapist
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH)
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • School Nurse
  • Early Intervention Worker
  • Emotional Health and Wellbeing practitioner
  • Family Worker
  • Paediatrician

Parents will be fully involved in any decisions to consult and involve additional professionals, as listed above and will be invited to Team Around the Child/Family (TAC/F) or Family Support Plan (FSP) meetings if the child is in Nursery or Reception. 

What are the arrangements for supporting children in moving into our Nursery and from Eastfield Infant School to Westfield Junior School?

A home visit for pre-nursery children or a Parent/Carer consultation for Year Two children, to discuss how we can best meet the emotional needs of the child.

Transition meetings between teaching staff from both settings.

Transition meetings between SENCOs at both settings, where there is a higher level of need
Consultations with support staff and other lead professionals as to how we can best support the academic, medical and social needs of the child.

Opportunities for the child and parent to have supported visits to our nursery/the child’s new school
School is currently writing a transition policy which will explain how we do this in more detail. Please contact school if you need any more information. 

What should I do if I am concerned about my child’s progress?

Every teacher has the responsibility for all children within their class, including those with SEND. If you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress or well-being, whether they have a SEND or not, please speak to your child’s class teacher initially. If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO). 

How do I contact the person responsible for SEND or arrange to meet them?

The SENCO is the person responsible for ensuring additional support meets the needs of the children and provides support and advice to teachers and parents where required.

The SENCO can be contacted by email or by telephone. Alternatively, visit the school and leave a message with the school’s receptionist.

Mrs Nicky Oliver – SENCO

Eastfield Infant and Nursery School

Pig Lane,

St. Ives,


PE27 5QT

Telephone: 01480 463958

Email: noliver@eastfield.cambs.sch.uk with any questions. 

Where can I find more help and support?

What are the arrangements for parents of children with SEND who may wish to complain about the provision?

If you are not happy with the SEND provision at the school, please contact the class teacher, SENCO or the Head teacher to share your concerns. If the issue can’t be resolved at this level or the complaint is regarding the Head Teacher the parent will be directed to the schools complaints procedure. Cambridgeshire School’s Complaints Policy

What do we mean!? A guide to some of the words and phrases in this document

SEND – Special Educational Need or Disability – A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

— (a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or

— (b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

SENCO – SENCO stands for Special Educational Needs Coordinator. The SENCO is responsible for making sure children with SEND are well provided for in school. The SENCO holds meetings with other professionals to make sure children are receiving the best support we can give them.

ILP – This stands for Individual Learning Plan and is a document that a child’s teacher will write with the support of parents to help children who may be finding certain things difficult. It may be an educational need in maths or English or it could be that a child is struggling to make friends, or has a speech and language difficulty. An ILP will set targets for parents and school, and the child, to work towards to help them to make progress.

TA – TA stands for Teaching Assistant. A TA is a qualified adult working within your child’s class who supports with learning. Sometimes a TA works with just one child and sometimes they work with lots of children in the class.
PIVATS – Performance Indicators for Valued Assessment & Targeted Learning – These are statements which help us to plan for and assess the next steps in learning for children who are not accessing the National Curriculum when they start Year 1.
SLT – This is the Senior Leadership Team which includes the Head Teacher, Deputy Head teacher, SENCO, Early Years Team Leader and English and Maths leads. This team works together to run the school, support the Head teacher and ensure that teaching, learning and progress is monitored through a range of different ways.
EHA – EHA means Early Help Assessment. This is a document that the SENCO may ask you to fill in as a way to involve other professionals in the education of your child.
EHCP – This stands for Education, Health and Care Plan. If a child has a significantly greater need than other children and
Intervention – An intervention is an extra group or 1:1 session to focus on an area of learning that a child has a difficulty with. It is usually run by a TA and is planned and monitored by the class teacher and the SENCO.
Target Tracker – Target Tracker is an assessment and tracking programme used by the school to track children’s progress and attainment.
TAC/TAF meeting – TAC stands for Team Around the Child and TAF means Team Around the Family. These are meetings where professionals come together to discuss the best ways of supporting a child or a family and are run by the SENCO.
FSP – FSP stands for Family Support Plan and is used for children in Nursery or Reception, as above, a team of professionals come together to support a family.